Thursday, September 18, 2008

GIMP Digiscrapping Tutorial - "How to use Photo Masks in Gimp"

Here is another instalment of a Gimp Digiscrapping tutorial covering the usage of photo masks. This question was posted at ScrapbooksGoneDigital, so have created some screenshots with instructions.

Open your GIMP scrap layout:

From Blogger Pictures
Next open your Mask .png file in a separate window, keeping your GIMP scrap layout also open:
From Blogger Pictures

From Blogger Pictures

From Blogger Pictures

From Blogger Pictures

From Blogger Pictures

See my In training post for the finished LO.

Happy Gimp photo masking everyone

Credits: photomask freebie by Kristin Skjæringrud at http://www.scrapwithtemplates.com/

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mo,
Great tutorial! Thanks for the link.
Hugz,
Kristin

mamazee said...

Thanks for this tutorial!
I was just asking at twopeas if anyone knew how to do this as i'd just bought some "laundry edge" masks and wanted to use them - this tutorial worked! BUT the mask is extremely light. Like, barely visible? Would you look at my screenshot and tell me if i did something wrong? My son says "i can see it, mom!" but it's just really barely there... not sure if it's supposed to be like that - even watermarks are stronger than this!
i uploaded it here:http://picasaweb.google.com/tfehler/Gimp#5312747909607161410

mamazee said...

oh - one other question - on your first step, you have background (white) then your background paper, then two "pasted layers" that look like just transparency, THEN your photo with an alpha channel - what are the two pasted layers for? and do you need the white background layer if you have the paper open? Just trying to figure out the magical spell... :)

Anonymous said...

thank you so much. you helped me heaps! here is my layout using this tutorial

Anonymous said...

YES! I did it! Thank you! I know it was possible but you told me how to handle it.
Groetjes,
Saskia

MariaS said...

Thank you! I saw your post in SgD and followed the link. Thank you for easy and clear tut!!!!!

Emily said...

UGH!!!!! I have been playing with this for 3 days and still can't figure it out. How do you get from 1c to 2a? I feel like I am missing something. Please help I would be very grateful.

Mo (Maureen) said...

Hi Miss Em,
I have added some more instructions just above screenshots. Let me know if this resolves the 'missing link'.
Thanks for letting me know

hugz, Mo

NanaScraps said...

do you think you could do a tut on text to path..I have tried and tried and have failed miserably. found your other tuts enlighting

Emily said...

THANK YOU!!!! Yes, awesome! That little extra helped I am so new to this and masking was my biggest questions. YEAH!!!!!

artzyfartzy said...

thank you!!! this worked perfectly! and i couldnt figure it out to save my life on my own!