Wednesday, November 26, 2008

GIMP Digiscrapping Tutorial - "Installing fonts for use in GIMP"

I got asked this question by Cat not so long ago, which she managed to follow no problems. So thought to might as well share it with you GIMPsters out there if you wondered how.

1) First download, unzip, install font to C:\Windows\Fonts - refer to Dafont-faq for more instructions.

2) If GIMP is already open, exit GIMP and re-open OR with Text Tool selected, click on Font selection icon,
click on Open the font selection dialog (bottom right button),
click Rescan font list (looks like arrows pointing at each other at bottom of dialog).


The rescan may take a while, so be patient.

3) With Text Tool selected, click on canvas or new layer and type away with your newly installed font.

That's all folks.

5 comments:

Sammy said...

cool Mo. I just had a go at downloading some fonts the other day but have not got around to using them yet so didn't think that they wouldn't show up in GIMP til I had done something else with them. Doh!
Will try soon
Thanks
luv Sammy

Cat Russell said...

great post, Mo..love ur screen shots..Thanks so much for sharing ur tips on the Gimp..(I have linked u in my new blog) PaisleyCatScraps Free Blog Layouts..

katie talbott said...

This didn't work for me. I am using GIMP on a Mac and have to have the program X11 running too. Would this change things? I really want to use some of the fun fonts that I've been collecting.

Mo (Maureen) said...

Saw your post at SgD too, hopefully Norma can enlighten us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I am just making the switch over to GIMP from CS2, and trying to learn all that I can right now. :)